Chat Rooms (0 Chatting)  |  Search  |   Login/Join
* For the benefit of the community, commercial posting is not allowed.
Boundary Waters Quetico Forum
   COVID-19 Information and Discussion
      BWCAW will now be open     
 Forum Sponsor

Author

Text

MooseTrack
distinguished member(581)distinguished memberdistinguished memberdistinguished memberdistinguished member
 
05/15/2020 12:12PM

Just received this from the USFS
News Release
Media Contact: Suzanne Hirsch
Suzanne.hirsch@usda.gov or Susan Catton susan.catton@usda.gov


Superior National Forest to Reopen Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness

Duluth, MN May 15, 2020 – On May 18, Superior National Forest will open the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness (BWCAW) for both day and overnight use, which is in alignment with Minnesota Governor’s new order 20-56. For a full list of open areas and up-to-date information on re-openings, visit the Superior National Forest website www.fs.usda.gov/superior and social media pages: https://twitter.com/SuperiorNF https://www.facebook.com/US-Forest-Service-Superior-National-Forest-1535003593410973/.

“We are happy to be fully allowing visitors into the BWCAW,” says Connie Cummins, Forest Supervisor. “We ask that visitors please continue to follow local, state and federal guidelines on staying safe and practice good hygiene and social distancing wherever they choose to visit.”

To ensure the health and safety of its employees, partners and members of the public, the Superior National Forest will continue to use temporary modifications to the permit pick-up requirements beginning May 18 for all BWCAW quota permits. For additional information on this process, please visit the Superior National Forest’s website at https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/superior/specialplaces/?cid=fseprd555184.

Support for Recreation.gov will continue to be provided via email until further notice. The quickest way to get help is to visit the Recreation.gov online Help Center. You can also call the Forest Service or your local cooperator if you cannot make changes online via Recreation.gov.

Keep in mind for travel plans to Quetico Provincial Park through the BWCAW, Ontario, Canada has current closures in place. For information on Canadian closures, please visit: https://www.ontarioparks.com/covid19 and https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/menu-eng.html.

Visitors are asked to stay as local as possible when choosing a site to visit and to pack out everything they bring, especially trash. Visitors are also urged to take the precautions recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) along with local health and safety guidance. For tips from the CDC on preventing illnesses like the coronavirus, go to: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/about/prevention.html.

Responsible recreation will help expand access to facilities, services and other opportunities. Certain services may still be unavailable, so visitors are asked to plan accordingly and to remain flexible.

Contact information for the Superior National Forest is available online at www.fs.usda.gov/superior.

-USDA-
 
      Print Top Bottom Previous Next
paddlinjoe
distinguished member (372)distinguished memberdistinguished memberdistinguished member
 
05/15/2020 01:42PM
Thank you for posting that update.
 
salukiguy
distinguished member(522)distinguished memberdistinguished memberdistinguished memberdistinguished member
 
05/15/2020 04:03PM
So would traveling from Illinois be not cool? I know the MN guidance is 1 tank of gas round trip. I’m thinking July so I guess things could be more clear then.
 
OMGitsKa
senior member (61)senior membersenior member
 
05/15/2020 06:14PM
salukiguy: "So would traveling from Illinois be not cool? I know the MN guidance is 1 rank of gas round trip."

I sure as shit wouldn't be driving to other states right now but hey that's me. Be smart about it if you do. Pack coolers and avoid stopping.
 
GraniteCliffs
distinguished member(1809)distinguished memberdistinguished memberdistinguished memberdistinguished member
 
05/16/2020 07:47PM
Driving to another state? I think it is not so much what you do but how you do it.
If you pack your own food and have a full tank of gas when you leave you can safely get to the BW. At least as safely as you might live your life at home. This is from someone that does not even enter a store these days. Wipes, mask, caution, staying away from people can be done quite effectively. On the other hand, you could eat in a number of restaurants, drink in bars, wander around stores, ignore social distancing guidelines and be in another boat.
I would not hesitate to travel from Illinois to the BW if you are sensitive to safety.
 
x2jmorris
distinguished member(1208)distinguished memberdistinguished memberdistinguished memberdistinguished member
 
05/17/2020 09:13AM
Pending the fire status coming in the following weeks I might have to buy a permit to go now.
 
Bushpilot
distinguished member(879)distinguished memberdistinguished memberdistinguished memberdistinguished member
 
05/17/2020 09:42AM
By all the numbers the states that surround Minnesota are in better shape than Minnesota. You would have to go to Michigan or Illinois to find higher numbers(way higher). Most I know would welcome our neighbors from surrounding states.
 
NotLight
distinguished member(1228)distinguished memberdistinguished memberdistinguished memberdistinguished member
 
05/17/2020 11:26AM
Seems like people get sick in enclosed spaces. If you get sick in the BWCA this summer, 90% chance its from driving up in a car with someone asymptomatic, 9% chance from using a public restroom in a gas station on the way up, 1% chance from stopping for take out food on the way up. So drive up and share tents only with members of your immediate household, only shit in the woods, and only stop for takeout food on your way home. Pretty sure the single household was in the governors guidance.
 
mutz
distinguished member(1197)distinguished memberdistinguished memberdistinguished memberdistinguished member
 
05/17/2020 05:17PM
My post in ref to the China virus was deleted within a couple hours any way to find out why? If I repost as covid19 will it be ok.
 
LindenTree
distinguished member(2415)distinguished memberdistinguished memberdistinguished memberdistinguished member
 
05/17/2020 06:17PM
mutz: "My post in ref to the China virus was deleted within a couple hours any way to find out why? If I repost as covid19 will it be ok."

The term was political and pontificating. Adam said that this forum is not to be used for that, I'm not suprised it was removed.
 
x2jmorris
distinguished member(1208)distinguished memberdistinguished memberdistinguished memberdistinguished member
 
05/17/2020 07:15PM
LindenTree: "mutz: "My post in ref to the China virus was deleted within a couple hours any way to find out why? If I repost as covid19 will it be ok."


The term was political and pontificating. Adam said that this forum is not to be used for that, I'm not suprised it was removed."


I like the no political rule. I'd write more but I don't want it removed lol.
 
martian
member (34)member
 
05/17/2020 08:13PM
Given these new guidelines it appears my daughter and I can't make the 10 hour drive up and use the printed permit for June 7th-12th because it'll take more then the single tank of gas to get there?
The only time we'd contact people is at the gas pumps, maybe. We'd lunch out of the cooler.
Are people going into the BWCA now that it's open or not?
At this point we're still planning on going.
 
cburton103
distinguished member (381)distinguished memberdistinguished memberdistinguished member
 
05/17/2020 08:45PM
martian: "Given these new guidelines it appears my daughter and I can't make the 10 hour drive up and use the printed permit for June 7th-12th because it'll take more then the single tank of gas to get there?
The only time we'd contact people is at the gas pumps, maybe. We'd lunch out of the cooler.
Are people going into the BWCA now that it's open or not?
At this point we're still planning on going.
"


I would definitely still plan to go if I were you. As always, be smart and practice good personal hygiene and be respectful and thoughtful along the way. We plan to fly up from Texas.
 
mutz
distinguished member(1197)distinguished memberdistinguished memberdistinguished memberdistinguished member
 
05/17/2020 08:53PM
x2jmorris: "LindenTree: "mutz: "My post in ref to the China virus was deleted within a couple hours any way to find out why? If I repost as covid19 will it be ok."



The term was political and pontificating. Adam said that this forum is not to be used for that, I'm not suprised it was removed."



I like the no political rule. I'd write more but I don't want it removed lol."



Did not mean to be political, that is just how I refer to it, will be more conscious of my wording in further posts.
 
fishEH
member (21)member
 
05/17/2020 09:30PM
martian: "Given these new guidelines it appears my daughter and I can't make the 10 hour drive up and use the printed permit for June 7th-12th because it'll take more then the single tank of gas to get there?
The only time we'd contact people is at the gas pumps, maybe. We'd lunch out of the cooler.
Are people going into the BWCA now that it's open or not?
At this point we're still planning on going.
"

I never saw any "tank of gas" rule.
My buddy(MN resident) and I(IL resident) have a trip planned for Quetico including a tow from Crane Lake, MN. We just put together our backup plan tonight for Brule Lake. Reservation for Aspen Lodge in Grand Marais the night before. Neither one of us have any concerns whatsoever. You don't have to worry about me bringing the virus anywhere because I'm being more careful than most for my own consideration.
 
      Print Top Bottom Previous Next
COVID-19 Information and Discussion Sponsor:
Sawbill Canoe Outfitters