Click to View the Full Thread

Boundary Waters Quetico Forum :: COVID-19 Information and Discussion :: Canada/US border

Author Message Text
outsidethebox
11/01/2020 12:00PM

While protective compliance (masks and social distancing) remains problematic it is likely that enough is being done to reduce the viral load that is being transmitted-which is believed to be a significant factor relative to the severity of ones infection. Also, more younger, healthier segments of the population are becoming infected and so the death rate is decreasing. Many of these are "school infections"-again where measures are in place that reduce the viral load and afford a measure of protection.

Unfortunately there remains a significant segment of noncompliance that is keeping this virus very much alive and well...and the virus is taking full advantage of the situation. My wife is a primary care pediatric health provider and they are now up to 5 infections within their office staff of 25-even given all the measures they have in place. And let's be honest, the actual compliance relative to the reported compliance is much worse. Additionally, the reported cases relative to the actual cases, contrary to many conspiracy theorists is much lower-and is going to continue to worsen as the general population's weariness grows and compliance further deteriorates. My guess is that we are going to have half a millions deaths before a viable vaccine becomes available.

Here, please wear a mask because all indications are that it affords a level of protection that reduces the virus' virulence which can keep hospitals from being further overrun. Regardless, from the medical side, the end is not yet in sight.

mutz
10/21/2020 09:19PM

LarryS48: "As expected Canada has extended the ban on nonessential travel for another month until Nov. 21. "
This is kind of mutual, we are not allowing Canadians into the US for the same reason.

LarryS48
10/19/2020 05:00PM

As expected Canada has extended the ban on nonessential travel for another month until Nov. 21.

LarryS48
10/16/2020 08:23AM

Yes, cases are on the rise in Canada and the second wave is largely in the cities in Quebec and Ontario. As you noted Canada is fighting back with renewed restrictions. Cases are also rising in the US. Unfortunately, the US is not fighting back at this time. Although the absolute numbers are larger in the US, cases are rising faster in Canada on a per capita basis. Over the last week an American was about twice as likely to get COVID than a Canadian. Twice is much, much lower than it had been. However, I think the statement by Trudeau indicates that the border will not open until the case load is much lower in the US overall than it is now. As you point out, there are certainly places where you would increase your risk by going to Canada. For example, going from Vermont to Montreal. However for the border to open, I think you’ll have to look at national averages. I expect an official statement extending the closure for another month soon.

Unfortunately, I don’t see the US getting down to the numbers of new cases necessary without a safe and effective vaccine. I think the best case scenario for getting the vaccine, getting people vaccinated and having new cases go down to the desired levels is the end of next summer or the fall. If we put our hopes on herd immunity being developed without a vaccine, I think it will take years and years and many more hundreds of thousands dead.

Fortunately deaths have not been increasing at as fast a rate as infections. The cause for this is unclear to me. Perhaps better treatment, the virus having already killed the most vulnerable or the virus is mutating to a less lethal form. What implications this will have for opening the border is unclear at least in the short term.

Grandma L
01/05/2021 02:02PM

Now the border closure is extended until January 21, 2021. I just want to go cross the Dawson Portage -this coming summer - not move in or stay.

LarryS48
10/15/2020 11:49PM

On October 15th Justin Trudeau, Prime Minister of Canada, said in a TV interview:
“The U.S. is not in a place where we would feel comfortable reopening those borders. We will continue to make sure that Canadian safety is top of mind when we move forward. We see the cases in the United States and elsewhere around the world, and we need to continue to keep these border controls in place.”

yellowcanoe
10/16/2020 08:02AM

Unfortunately it is the other way around too. Our closest cities to us are in Canada and Montreal and Quebec City have rates way above ours.

They are also far more into lockdown ( again) than we are.