Spirit of the Wilderness
Ely and Western BWCA
Spirit of the Wilderness
2030 East Sheridan St
Ely, MN 55731
Proprietors: Steve, Kathy & Ginny Nelson
Direct Phone: 218.365.3149
Toll-Free Phone: 800-950-2709
Spirit of the Wilderness Outfitting and Outdoor Store,
Ely, Minnesota, centrally located to service all Ely area
Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness permit entry
points. Our guests find us an easy one-stop shop before
they head into the BWCAW or Canada’s Quetico Park to the
Our bunkhouse facility is located within walking distance
of downtown Ely with numerous shops and restaurants.
We ask you to provide your own sleeping bag, unless you
choose a complete outfitted trip, then use one of ours.
Bunks with sanitized mattresses, shower with towels,
refrigerator, stove, coffee maker are included. Air
conditioned or heat (we are prepared) for your comfort.
Off-street parking available for no additional charge.
Reserve early as space is limited. Available May 1 -
Retail store includes: live bait & tackle, Columbia
clothing/footwear, TEVA sandels, camping gear. canoe
accessories, and more.
- Outdoor Recreation - BWCA, Quetico park
- Restaurant - Sir G's, Rockwood, Ely Stkhouse, Boathouse, Britton's
- Bunkhouse - Available May 1 - October 30
- Store - Spirit of the Wilderness, 2030 E. Sheridan St
- Beach - Semers Park, Fall Lake campground
- Hiking Nearby - Bass lake, Secret Blackstone, Snowbank, Kekakabic, Soiux Hustler, Angleworm
- Canoes - Rent by day or week. Kevlar or aluminum.
- Pets Allowed - Pets/Dogs allowed
- Fishing - Walleyes, Bass, N Pike, Trout...we talk fishing!
- Campground - Fall Lake, So Kawishiwi, Birch Lake, Fenske Lake, Bearhead State Park
- Airport Nearby - Ely airport
- Bait - Store open 6 am-9pm daily, Minnows, leeches, crawlers, wax worms. We talk fishing
- BikeTrail - Hidden Valley
- Fishing Guide - Call for availability
- Kayaks - Current Design: Kestrals, Double Vision
- Kitchenette - Fridge, stove
- Sauna - Ely Sauna
- Shopping Nearby - City of Ely, Spirit of the Wilderness Outdoor Store
- State/National Park Nearby - Bearhead State Park
- Non-Smoking Rooms - Non-smoking rooms and cabins
- Golf Course Nearby - Public Golf Course Nearby
- Antiquing - On Sheridan Street
- Coffee Maker - See our bunkhouse listing
- Gift Shop - At our store on Sheridan & Chapman Str, Ely
- Laundry - Across the alley from our bunkhouse
- Museum/Historic Sites - Ely-Winton Historical Center, Dorothy Molter Museun
- Recreational Water Toys - SUPs rentals by the 1/2 day or full day
Now hiring for 2018 staff positions (full and part-time) for our Ely-based outfitting and outdoor store. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 218-365-3149 to request an application. Positions start as early as April 25 - October. Visit www.elycanoetrips.com for information about our business.
Job duties are varied...something new each day. On the job training provided. Salary based on experience. Duties include providing excellent customer service, outfit packing, loading canoes, towboat and ground transportation to/from entry points, bait & tackle sales, retail sales, and more. This is a fun place to work!