It is time to start planning those 2018 trips. Here is some updates and basic information to get you started. And start bugging your friends and family to start thinking about a trip now as we are less then 2 months away from permit booking.
- A BWCA permit reservation is required for each group wishing to enter and camp overnight between May 1st through September 30th 2018. Only one permit is required per group. Permits are for entering on a specific day and entry point.
- Permits are also required for entry into the Quetico and Woodland Caribou.
- Mark your Calendars - BWCA reservations for all entry points can be made on a first-come, first-served basis beginning January 31, 2018 at 9:00 a.m. CST.
- Permits can be booked through outfitters or recreation.gov. You can start planning with outfitters now so that they can work with you on routes/canoes/gear and book the permit for you when they open. Please see the list of outfitters in our menu above.
- Lottery - There is a small set of permits primary focused on motor use which are distributed through a lottery before all permits are opened for booking on Jan 31st.
- Lottery information: The BWCAW 2018 lottery application period begins December 20, 2017 at 9:00 a.m. CST through January 17, 2018, 9:00 p.m. CST. The lottery is for the following entry points and dates: Fall Lake entry points D (Fall Lake, Newton Lake, Pipestone and Beyond) and 24 (Fall Lake); Moose Lake entry points F (Moose Lake to Newfound and Sucker Lakes), G (Moose Lake to Prairie Portage to Basswood Lake) and 25 (Moose Lake) for dates between May 1, 2018 and September 30, 2018. Lottery results will be available on January 24, 2018.
There is a 10 dollar fee to enter the lottery and it is non-refundable even if you don’t win the lottery which is a change from last year.
Note for 2019! - The lottery system is going to be eliminated after the 2018 season is over.
Thanks. May I suggest that this thread be pinned to the top of the forum for a while?
I know that others have their reasons to disagree, but I am pleased to see that the lottery for Fall and Moose will end in 2019. I'll note the possible concerns about a crush at the opening bell, but it makes sense to allow each day at each entry point to be offered on a first-come, first-served basis.
“In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria.” -- Benjamin Franklin