Chat Rooms (0 Chatting)  |  Search  |   Login/Join
* For the benefit of the community, commercial posting is not allowed.
Boundary Waters Quetico Forum
   Quetico Forum
      Entry requirements for 16 year old     
 Forum Sponsor



Guest Paddler
11/24/2015 02:55PM
Wondering what the current requirements are for a 16 year old to enter Canada. I know that you need a passport to enter once 18 and that you could enter with just a birth certificate (traveling with parents), but looking at the the 16-18 range I find ambiguous answers online. Does anyone know if a passport is needed for 16 and 17 year olds?

Reply    Reply with Quote    Print Top Bottom Previous Next
distinguished member(26295)distinguished memberdistinguished memberdistinguished memberdistinguished membermaster membermaster member
11/24/2015 03:05PM
I think your answers can be found in the thread at the top of the quetico forum page.
distinguished member(4033)distinguished memberdistinguished memberdistinguished memberdistinguished memberpower member
11/24/2015 03:26PM

The passport is not required for entry into Canada, it is a requirement for reentry into the USA.

distinguished member(6777)distinguished memberdistinguished memberdistinguished memberdistinguished memberpower member
11/24/2015 04:00PM
From the Canadian Border Services Agency site:

If you are a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, you must carry proof of citizenship such as a passport, birth certificate, a certificate of citizenship or naturalization, a U.S. Permanent Resident Card, or a Certificate of Indian Status along with photo identification. If you are a U.S. permanent resident, ensure you carry proof of your status such as a U.S. Permanent Resident Card.

Exceptions are for 15 and under.

From DHS:

What types of documents are accepted for entry into the United States via land and sea?

U.S. citizens can present a valid: U.S. Passport; Passport Card; Enhanced Driver’s License; Trusted Traveler Program card (NEXUS, SENTRI or FAST)

U.S. and Canadian citizen children under the age of 16 (or under 19, if traveling with a school, religious group, or other youth group) need only present a birth certificate or other proof of citizenship. The birth certificate can be original, photocopy, or certified copy.

Get a passport. Lasts 10 years. Too easy these days. Gold standard for travel.

Guest Paddler
11/25/2015 12:32PM
Thanks all, It is spelled out at the top of the Quetico forum page. If I had only taken the time to look. Will be getting a passport.

11/25/2015 02:45PM
Time to register here on the site and join this bunch of canoeing enthusiasts...
Reply    Reply with Quote    Print Top Bottom Previous Next