BWCA Permits Overview
Permits are required for groups to enter the Boundary Waters Canoe Area (BWCA) during all seasons. Between May 1st and September 30th, permits need to be reserved and are limited by day and by entry point to reduce impact on the wilderness. It is essential to plan your trip early. After September 30th through April 30th, reservations for a permit are not required. Day use permits do not require reservation and are free.
There is no longer a lottery for permits. All overnight canoe/motor or day use motor permits will be available
General Permit Reservations
Reservations for all entry points can be made on a first-come,
first-served basis beginning Wednesday, January 25th, 2023 at 9:00 a.m. CST.
You can contact an outfitter now who can not only help you plan and outfit a trip but also to book your permit for you. Permits are also available starting on the last Wed of January directly at Recreation.gov or by phone at 1-877-444-6777.
Visit the trip planning forum in the messageboard for trip planning ideas:
BWCA Trip Planning Messageboard
BWCA Permit Videos
View the new permit videos which are being distributed by the Forest Service.
BWCA Permit Videos
- The reservation fee is $6.00 for every quota permit along with $16 per adult ($8 for youth and seniors).
- Group leaders (permit holders) are required to have a valid email address to reserve a permit.
- Each alternate permit holder is required to have a valid email address to be listed as an intended alternate at time of reservation.
- Alternates must respond to the recreation.gov email sent at the time of reservation and accept being an alternate within 72 hours of reservation, or the permit will not have alternates.
- If an alternate does not have a recreation.gov account, they will be required to create one at verification when they respond and accept being an alternate. Alternates can log on to www.recreation.gov and create their account any time prior to a reservation.
- All participant names must be entered for the permit to print at issuance. Participant names may be added to a reservation any time prior to the permit pick-up.
- For reservations made by a Cooperator (Outfitters), permit holders will receive a copy of the confirmation email.