Voyageur Canoe Outfitters
Gunflint Trail (Eastern BWCA)
Voyageur Canoe Outfitters
189 Sag Lake Trail
Gunflint Trail / Grand Marais, MN 55604
View Location on Map
Proprietors: Mike and Sue Prom (Owners) & Matthew Ritter and Cassidy Bechtold (Managers)
Direct Phone: 218-388-2224
Whether you like to sleep under the stars or cuddle up in a
cozy cabin with a kitchen, bathroom and gas fireplace for
those cool evenings; Voyageur Canoe Outfitters offers
something for everyone and can provide for all your Gunflint
Trail vacation needs. We offer complete outfitting (food
included) and partial outfitting (canoes, equipment, etc),
as well as bunkhouse stays, cabins, boat and motor rentals,
tow services and more!
Voyageur Canoe Outfitters is conveniently located on the
edge of the most beautiful, lake based and paddle only
wilderness in the world. Our location on Saganaga Lake and
the Seagull River (BWCA entry point #55), allows for a
relaxed atmosphere prior to your Boundary Waters or Quetico
canoe trip adventure. Upon arriving at this magnificent
lakefront setting, you can expect a heart felt greeting from
our crew as well as a feeling of tranquility and peace. The
beauty of the Boundary Waters natural wilderness and its
exceptionally fresh air will cause you to breathe a deep
sigh of relief, as the cares of your daily world begin to
We strive to make your vacation enjoyable and without
worries. Voyageur Canoe Outfitters has the best crew ever.
We love living here at the end of the Gunflint Trail and we
absolutely love introducing other people to the magic of the
BWCA & Quetico. We are excited each morning when we wake up
and we go to sleep smiling every night. We feel blessed and
lucky to be here and we hope to meet you someday so that we
can share this experience with you too. Once you paddle
through Voyageur we believe you will never want to outfit
anywhere else. We are confident that you will completely
enjoy your time with us and we guarantee your satisfaction.
Think about it, life is too short and vacations are even
shorter. It makes the best sense to go with a sure thing.
Our guests sometimes choose to share their VCO experience
with us. We are grateful to them and we hope to see them all
* Don Shelby says, "I spend a lot of quality time in the
Superior-Quetico. The Quetico is particularly special to me.
On our last trip, I asked Mike of Voyageur Canoe Outfitters
to find us a remote route. He found one with three lakes and
a river with no names. We were alone. Exactly the way I
wanted it. When I go into the Quetico, I rely on Voyageur
Canoe Outfitters, whether it's a tow or complete outfitting,
nobody does it better."
* Tom & Alekzander Hall says, "Don't even know where to
begin shy of saying THANK YOU Voyageur Canoe Outfitters!!!!
This was my 1st trip to the Boundary Waters and one that I
had been looking forward to for 5 years. When my son was
turning 8 I told him that when he was turning 13 we would do
a week long BWCA trip together. Knowing very well that once
he hits the "Fume Years" (Gas Fumes and Perfumes) that he
may have other priorities.
The BWCA trip was perfect. The staff at Voyageur's was
outstanding, the bunk house the night
before departure was comfy, the canoe was outstanding and
the food way better than what I would have packed. We
covered 18 Lakes, 20 Portages and had a little bit of
everything on this Boundary Waters trip: Canoeing in the
rain for about an hour, sunny weather, calm winds, gusty
winds, a storm at night, great fishing (my son caught his
1st Smallmouth and 1st Northern) and just about everything
else I could have wanted out of the trip. I have already
begun recommending Voyageurs to my friends in the Las Vegas
Canoe Club and really looking forward to doing the trip with
my 9 year old in a few years. Thanks again everyone, you
have helped create outstanding memories that both my son and
I will have for the rest of our lives."
- Full Outfitting - We provide everything you need to have a successful and enjoyable trip.
- Gear Rental - Whether it's a tent, stove, fishing rod, sleeping bag, etc... we've got you covered.
- Restaurant - Enjoy a pancake breakfast before your trip then a delicious dinner afterwards!
- Trip/Route Planning Assistance - We love helping our guests prepare for the best trip of their life!
- Entry Point Shuttles - We will literally drive you, your gear and canoes to almost any entry point.
- Guide Service - With over 25 years of experience, we never tire of being outdoors.
- BWCA Permits - We are a permit issuing station & will gladly help you reserve a BWCA/Quetico permit.
- Canoe Rental - Solo, 2 person, 3 person & 4 person canoes. Wenonah Kevlar, Royalex & Aluminum.
- Meal Planning - We offer fresh & freeze dried options for your trip & will happily help you prepare.
- Store - Shopping - Our outfitting store offers quality equipment as well as northwoods gifts & snacks.
- Bunkhouse - Our private bunkhouses are available for pre/post trip lodging.
- Cabins - Spacious, cozy & fully equipped cabins await you.
- Cross Country Skiing - We offer winter lodging for those of you snowmobilers & skiers!
- Winter Camping - We offer winter lodging for those of you snowmobilers & skiers!
- Quetico Outfitting - We offer tows to Hook Island & complete/partial outfitting for those trips too.
Additional Offerings 1:
- Kevlar Canoe Rental - Wenonah Solo Prism, MN II's, Boundary Waters, Seneca's, MN IV's & Canaks.
- Maps - We offer high-quality waterproof Fisher Maps & McKenzie Maps.
- Solo Canoe Rental - Wenonah Solo Prisms as well as Wenonah Canaks.
- Minnesota Fishing Licenses - Fishing licenses are available on site.
- Hot Showers - Enjoy a hot shower before or after your trip. Towels are provided.
Additional Offerings 2:
- Wenonah Canoes - MN II, Boundary Waters, Seneca's, MN IV, Solo Prism, Canyak.
- Kayak Rental - Wenoah Canaks: More space of a canoe & with the touring ability of a kayak.
- Gear Sales - We sell our used equipment every year to make room for new equipment for our guests.
- Food Sales - Whether it's snacks, bread, freeze dried or fresh. Ice, pop, water, and beer too!
- Fishing Tackle - Our tackle store has everything you'll need to fish the BWCA & Quetico successfully.
- Live Bait - We have leeches and night crawlers all season.
- Fish Finder Rental - For those of you that really want to catch the next state record :)
- Satellite Phones - Just in case... we've got you covered. Spot locators are available as well.
Boundary Waters Entry Points Supported
- Bower Trout Lake - 43
- Ram Lake - 44
- Morgan Lake - 45
- Lizz & Swamp Lakes - 47
- Meeds Lake - 48
- Skipper and Portage Lakes - 49
- Cross Bay Lake - 50
- Missing Link Lake - 51
- Brant Lake - 52
- Seagull Lake Only - 54A
- Saganaga Lake Only - We are located on the Seagull River, where the state record walleye was caught!
- Magnetic Lake - 57
- South Lake - 58
- Duncan Lake - 60
- Daniels Lake - 61
- Larch Creek - 80
- Moose Lake - 25
- Seagull Lake - 54
- Saganaga Lake - 55
- Clearwater Lake - 62
- East Bearskin Lake - 64
- Saganaga Lake - We are located on the Seagull River, where the state record walleye was caught!
- Seagull Lake - K
- Clearwater Lake - L
- East Bearskin Lake - M
Quetico Entry Points Supported
- Mack Lake - For those wanting to fly to the eastern edge of the Quetico.
- Knife Lake - We offer headstart tow service to the Quetico Boundary.
- Man Chain Lakes - We offer headstart tow service to the Quetico Boundary.
- Falls Chain Lakes - We offer headstart tow service to the Quetico Boundary.
- Boundary Point, Saganagons Lake - We offer headstart tow service to the Quetico Boundary.
- Cache Bay Fly In - We'll help you fly into Mack, Clay, Saganagons and more!
Voyageur Canoe Outfitters is looking for 8-10 individuals who will be a part of the Voyageur Crew for the summer of 2019. We are adjacent to the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness and surrounded by the Superior National Forest. Our Crew must appreciate and enjoy the natural surroundings and should enjoy the recreational opportunities it provides. If you can see yourself paddling a canoe, hiking a trail or camping out beneath the stars on your days off then Voyageur is the place for you. Our Crew is able to use our canoes and camping equipment at no charge during their employment. We try to arrange your schedule so you are done by 4pm on the day before your day off and so you don’t start until 11am the day after, allowing you to spend two nights camping out in the BWCA. This lets you to take full advantage of the one day off you receive each week. In addition to the love of wilderness our Crew members must love to make other people happy. We are part of our guests’ vacation and we want them to have a wonderful experience. In order to do that we need the help of hard-working, happy-go-lucky and enthusiastic crew members. We take pride in offering a one of a kind outfitting experience and we along with our crew must be willing to go the extra mile whether it means starting the day early, working through lunch or staying long after closing hours.
We ask our Crew members to commit to a minimum of a ten week contract period and prefer a twelve week contract. We get ready for the season in April and as year round residents of the Gunflint Trail we are open until people quit paddling. We like to have our Crew here during the busier months of the summer beginning at the end of May and into the first week of September. We do hire a few people to work earlier and to stay later in the season.
Our Crew members perform a number of different jobs throughout the season based upon their abilities and interests. Everyone participates in the cleaning of bunks, cabins and outfitting gear. Most are trained in the store and office to assist on the cash register and help guests. Some Crew will transport guests via towboat or vehicles, others will work lakefront and may even pack food or equipment. There are a variety of other jobs and tasks including but not limited to yard work, waitress, recycling, meals and more. Bored is not something we hear from our Crew members.
If you would like to talk to past employees of Voyageur Canoe Outfitters then we can provide you with their information so you can learn more about life at Voyageur. An application is available online at https://voyageuroutfitters.com/voyageur-crew/ and you can email it to us at email@example.com or mail it to us at Voyageur Canoe Outfitters, 189 Sag Lake Trail, Grand Marais, MN 55604. Feel free to call us with any questions you may have 218-388-2224.
We hope to hear from you for this upcoming season!