Packsack Canoe Trips & Log Cabins
Ely and Western BWCA
Packsack Canoe Trips & Log Cabins
P.O. Box 780
Ely, MN 55731
View Location on Map
Proprietors: Nick & Danielle Ott
Direct Phone: 1-800-365-3788
Let’s start with a proper introduction. We’re the Ott family - Gene, Jane, Nick (son) and Danielle, (daughter in law) and we acquired the property in 2000. Originally from Northeast Iowa, we had been scout leaders and BWCA enthusiasts for several years when the opportunity arose to make a lifestyle change that simply delighted us. Since that time, we have built an outfitting service that, we believe, is one of the best in the area. In addition to outfitting services, we have authentic log cabins, right on Fall Lake for non-campers to experience great fishing and conveniently explore the Ely area.
Our cabins and lodge (with bunkhouse) have an amazing history. The cabins and lodge were originally built and located up on Pipestone Bay on Basswood Lake. When Congress declared "The Wilderness Act of 1964", all buildings needed to be either moved or burnt to the ground, restoring the natural wilderness. Shortly after, each log was labelled, deconstructed, floated up through Newton Lake to Fall Lake and put back together, like a complex jigsaw puzzle. Can you imagine the planning and the work to accomplish this?
We’re honored by every guest that chooses Packsack and promise to make every effort to build a wilderness experience that best matches your wishes.
- Full Outfitting - Complete & Partial Outfitting
- Gear Rental - Tents, camps stoves, packs, sleeping bags, tarps, etc.
- Trip/Route Planning Assistance - Aid in helping plan your route or trip
- Entry Point Shuttles - Tow Service into Pipestone, and Jackfish Bays
- BWCA Permits - Reserve Permits for your group
- Canoe Rental - Aluminum & Kevlar
- Meal Planning - Plan and Provide fresh and freeze dried meals for groups.
- Bunkhouse - Lakeside Bunkhouse, Comes with sleeping bag & Shower
- Cabins - On Fall Lake
- Quetico Outfitting
Additional Offerings 1:
- Kevlar Canoe Rental - Rental of lightweight Canoes
- Maps - Purchase Maps for Planning and Navigation
- Solo Canoe Rental - Aluminum & Kevlar
- Minnesota Fishing Licenses - Fishing Licenses Available On-Site
- Hot Showers - Free with Canoe rental
Additional Offerings 2:
- Northstar Canoes - Rental of Northstar Canoes
- Wenonah Canoes - Rental of Wenonah Canoes
- Kayak Rental - Rental of Kayaks
- Food Sales - Providing Sales of dry goods for your trip
- Fish Finder Rental - Rental of Fish Finders
- Satellite Phones - Rental of Satellite Phones for emergency contact
Boundary Waters Entry Points Supported
- Crab Lake and Cummings from Burntside Lake - Tow service available
- Slim Lake - 6
- Big Lake - 7
- Moose River (south) - 8
- Little Indian Sioux River (south) - 9
- Little Indian Sioux River (north) - 14
- Moose/Portage River (north) - 16
- Stuart River - 19
- Angleworm Lake - 20
- Mudro Lake (restricted--no camping on Horse Lake) - 22
- Mudro Lake - 23
- Wood Lake - 26
- Snowbank Lake Only - Tow service available
- Ojibway Lake/North Kawishiwi River - 29
- Lake One - 30
- South Kawishiwi River - 32
- Little Gabbro Lake - 33
- Island River - 34
- Isabella Lake - 35
- Hog Creek - 36
- Kawishiwi Lake - 37
- South Hegman Lake - 77
- Trout Lake - Tow service available
- Fall Lake - Tow Service Available, Free canoe delivery to entry point #24
- Moose Lake - Tow Service Available
- Snowbank Lake - Tow service Available
- Farm Lake - 31
- Trout Lake - Tow Service Available
- Fall Lake Only - Tow Service Available
- Fall Lake and Beyond - Tow Service Available
- Moose Lake to Prairie Portage - Tow Service Available
PART TIME JOB OPPORTUNITY AT ELY OUTFITTER
House Keeping and Outfitting Assistant.
Get to know us:
Packsack Canoe Trips & Log Cabins is a small (and fun!) family owned resort and BWCA Outfitting business that has three lakeside cabins and a lodge/bunkhouse on the property. We are located on Fall Lake in Winton, MN which is about 3 miles east of Ely. The business has been in the family since 2000. The 2nd generation has owned the business for five seasons now with the assistance from the 1st generation. Besides cabin rentals, we also provide full and partial canoe outfitting services including boats and motors for Boundary Wates travelers.
Summary of Position:
Maintaining clean, sanitary and safe standards in lodge/bunkhouse and cabins. Lodge/bunkhouse duties are daily and cabins are usually weekly (or whenever guests check-out).
Assistance with preparing and organizing outfitting for groups. Including but not limited to, packing of meals and equipment for groups of campers.
• Must have a valid Drivers License.
• Must be willing to approach and greet public.
• Must be willing to participate in continuous learning and training.
• Able to lift or carry 50 lbs a plus.
What can we offer you for all of your hard work?
• Hourly wage based on experience.
• Free and/or discounted rates on equipment and watercrafts for your personal use during employment.
• A WONDERFUL summer experience!!
If this opportunity interests you, please email us your information and/or any questions you have.
We look forward to meeting you!
-Nick and Danielle 218-365-3788 firstname.lastname@example.org