Boundary Waters Outfitters
Ely and Western BWCA
Boundary Waters Outfitters
638 Kawishiwi Trail
Ely, MN 55731
View Location on Map
Direct Phone: 218-365-3466
Boundary Waters Outfitters (formerly Timber Trail Outfitters) has been sending people into the wilderness area now known as the Boundary Waters since 1939. Our lakeside resort is located right on the edge of the Boundary Waters Canoe Area and is an ideal place to begin your wilderness adventure.
Having canoed, camped and fished the vast majority of Minnesota's Boundary Waters and Canada's Quetico Park we are well equipped to guide you through planning your wilderness canoe trip. Ely and the Boundary Waters is where we make our home; we are passionate about what we do and hope to be able to share our experiences and knowledge with you when visiting this magnificent place. The Boundary Waters Canoe Area...see it for yourself...the wilderness is waiting.
We also have a full-service lakeside resort - Timber Trail Lodge. Boundary Waters Outfitters and Timber Trail Lodge are located seven miles outside of Ely, Minnesota on a chain of four interconnected lakes. The resort offers lakeside cabins ranging from one to six bedrooms in size. Across from the main lodge is our canoe outfitting headquarters where we plan, pack and assist customers heading into the wilderness.
Our resort and outfitting facility is one of the best in the area and has been featured in multiple newspapers, magazines and television shows. The most recent is happening this year on PBS who is filming a documentary series on Adventure Lodges of North America.
For a true wilderness experience you will remember for years to come plan your next vacation with Boundary Waters Outfitters. We are here to help you make the most of your Northwoods experience.
- Full Outfitting - We offer complete outfitting packages that provide everything you need!
- Gear Rental - We offer gear rental at a daily rate.
- Trip/Route Planning Assistance - Anyone visiting us will receiving a free routing/trip planning orientation.
- Guide Service - We offer guided Boundary Waters trips and pair you with a guide based on your trip!
- BWCA Permits - We are a Forest Service permit issuing station.
- Canoe Rental - We offer canoe rental services
- Meal Planning - We can help you plan and provide all the food necessary for your trip!
- Store - Shopping - We have a retail store located on site. Including fishing tackle.
- Bunkhouse - We have bunkhouse accommodations for our guests.
- Cabins - We have cabins available at Timber Trail Lodge located on Farm Lake
Additional Offerings 1:
- Kevlar Canoe Rental - We offer Northstar and Wenonah kevlar canoes
- Maps - We offer WA Fisher Boundary Waters Maps
- Solo Canoe Rental - We rent and sell Northstar NW solo canoes
- Hot Showers - Hot showers are complimentary to our guests before and after their trip
Additional Offerings 2:
- Northstar Canoes - Yes
- Northstar Canoes - Yes
- Wenonah Canoes - Yes
- Gear Sales - We sell used and new gear/canoes
- Fishing Tackle - We offer a wide variety of fishing tackle and also put together custom tackle kits.
Boundary Waters Entry Points Supported
- Crab Lake and Cummings from Burntside Lake - 4
- Little Indian Sioux River (north) - 14
- Moose/Portage River (north) - 16
- Mudro Lake (restricted--no camping on Horse Lake) - 22
- Mudro Lake - 23
- Wood Lake - 26
- Ojibway Lake/North Kawishiwi River - 29
- Lake One - 30
- South Kawishiwi River - 32
- Little Gabbro Lake - 33
- Island River - 34
- Isabella Lake - 35
- Kawishiwi Lake - 37
- Little Isabella River - 75
- Snake River - 84
- Fall Lake - 24
- Moose Lake - 25
- Snowbank Lake - 27
- Farm Lake - 31
GENERAL OUTFITTING STAFF
Come to the edge of the untouched Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness and work in a fun, fast paced and exciting atmosphere while camping, fishing, and paddling on days off among the million acres of Northern Minnesota's BWCA on your days off.
We have General Outfitting Staff positions available for the summer. The start date is flexible. Early to Mid May is preferred but we are willing to work with you. The season typically runs into early to mid September. Full time, 40+ hours a week with the possibility of overtime. Daily tasks include packing and cleaning gear for small or large groups, loading and unloading Kevlar and Aluminum canoes from trailers and storage racks, shuttling groups to and from entry points, making breakfast in the morning, and driving a 15 passenger van with a trailer.
We have housing available. Call to inquire about more details. Food is on your own. We are located about 7 miles from town. A personal vehicle is required for this position.
This job includes lifting and carrying packs and canoes weighing up to 65-70 pounds. This is a physical job that requires lots of time standing, walking and moving about. You will also spend most of your day outside. Weather in MN can change drastically in a day. Be sure to be properly equipped for the job.
Here at Boundary Waters Outfitters, we strive to have a positive, fun and comfortable workplace. We hire fun, outgoing people who like to work hard, have a strong drive to stay on task and are eager to work with guests and staff. We also love spending time in the woods fishing, camping, and paddling. We highly recommend you spend time in the woods too.
Send resume to email@example.com or call Peter at 218-365-3466