Canadian Waters Canoe Outfitters
Ely and Western BWCA
Canadian Waters Canoe Outfitters
111 East Sheridan Street
Ely, MN 55731-1299
View Location on Map
Direct Phone: 218-365-3202
Toll-Free Phone: 800-255-2922
Your First Canoe Trip Portage
Your first portage will transport you into our world - the world of the BWCA canoe trip outfitter; a world of specially designed camping equipment, fishing tackle and outdoor clothing; a world of canoe country maps and charts, routing tables and trip briefing areas complete with "How To" videos on fishing, camping and canoeing. Here you'll meet the people of the canoe country - we have personally paddled almost every square mile of the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness! We know how to pack your gear for your greatest convenience and comfort, where to catch fish, where the best scenery is and, we know what you will need for your Boundary Waters Canoe Area trip.
Experienced and Highly Qualified Staff
In short, we are highly qualified in the field of canoe outfitting and wilderness camping, and we would be delighted to share our knowledge with you. When you make your first portage through our doors you will understand what we mean about being America's Finest Canoe Trip Outfitter. Our Outfitting Headquarters covers half a square block in downtown Ely, Minnesota, and is home to both our canoe outfitting business and our retail store. We carry a large selection of outdoor clothing, gift items, camping equipment and fishing tackle. If you find you have forgotten something at home or want a memento of your trip to Ely, you'll probably find what you're looking for in our store.
"Why should I choose CANADIAN WATERS as my canoe area outfitter?"
Canadian Waters, inc., is owned and operated by Dan and Cathy Waters. We founded this business in 1964, and have remained under the same continuous ownership and management longer than any other Boundary Waters Canoe Area outfitter in the canoe country! We have been camping, fishing and paddling the canoe country since the early 1940s, and no one knows the country like we do. Our main Outfitting Headquarters covers half a city block in downtown Ely, Minnesota, and was designed to provide a warm and friendly atmosphere in which to finalize your Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness trip plans and prepare yourself for your canoe trip into the wilderness. You will join us in our routing area and share your expectations with us. Your input as to the type of trip you wish to take will enable us to suggest a route that provides the type of experience you are seeking: a travel trip that takes you into some lakes seldom visited by a canoe, a trip that primarily focuses on fishing, a base-camp type of trip that enables you to take day trips out from your campsite to other nearby lakes, or perhaps the ultimate - a fly-in canoe trip!
- Full Outfitting - Provide complete outfitting needs for your group - canoe, gear, food
- Gear Rental - Partial outfitting rentals of canoes and camping gear
- Trip/Route Planning Assistance - Aid in helping plan your route or trip
- Entry Point Shuttles - Shuttles to and from entry points.
- Guide Service - Guiding Trips into BWCA
- BWCA Permits - Reserve Permits for your group
- Canoe Rental - Kevlar, Aluminum, and Royalex
- Meal Planning - Plan and Provide fresh and freeze dried meals for groups.
- Store - Shopping - Huge retail store in downtown Ely!
- Bunkhouse - Bunkhouse available for pre/post trip lodging
- Quetico Outfitting - Paddle and Fly-In Trips to Quetico Park
Additional Offerings 1:
- Kevlar Canoe Rental - We use only ultra-light weight canoes not the heavy duralight!
- Maps - Purchase Maps for Planning and Navigation
- Solo Canoe Rental - Rental of Solo Canoes
- Minnesota Fishing Licenses - Fishing Licenses Available On-Site
- Hot Showers - Hot Showers for post trip cleanup
Additional Offerings 2:
- Wenonah Canoes - We use only ultra light kevlar!
- Kayak Rental - 1 or 2 person kayaks
- Gear Sales - Used and New equipment
- Fishing Tackle - Huge tackle isle in our large retail store!
- Live Bait - Live Bait for Sales for your fishing needs
- Satellite Phones - Daily and Weekly rates.
Boundary Waters Entry Points Supported
- Crab Lake and Cummings from Burntside Lake - We have tow service on Burntside.
- Big Lake - 7
- Moose River (south) - 8
- Little Indian Sioux River (south) - 9
- Little Indian Sioux River (north) - 14
- Moose/Portage River (north) - 16
- Stuart River - 19
- Angleworm Lake - 20
- Mudro Lake (restricted--no camping on Horse Lake) - 22
- Mudro Lake - 23
- Wood Lake - 26
- Snowbank Lake Only - 28
- Ojibway Lake/North Kawishiwi River - 29
- Lake One - 30
- South Kawishiwi River - 32
- Little Gabbro Lake - 33
- Island River - 34
- Isabella Lake - 35
- Hog Creek - 36
- Kawishiwi Lake - 37
- Sawbill Lake - 38
- Baker Lake - 39
- Bog Lake - 67
- From CANADA - 71
- Little Isabella River - 75
- Snake River - 84
- Trout Lake - 1
- Fall Lake - 24
- Moose Lake - We have tow service on moose lake.
- Snowbank Lake - 27