Where Are The Maps?...and No Pictures, Please--our 2017 trip on the Little Indian Sioux
by bottomtothetap

Trip Type: Paddling Canoe
Entry Date: 07/21/2017
Entry & Exit Point: Little Indian Sioux River (north) (EP 14)
Number of Days: 4
Group Size: 4
Day 2 of 4
Saturday, July 22, 2017

Some more light rain overnight meant a wet start to our second day but sunshine took care of that by the time we were done cleaning up from our bacon and egg breakfast. Fish was on the menu for tonight so we were eager to to work on that, encouraged by the catch-and-release success we'd had the previous day. Brian and his son offered to address that detail by exploring Lynx Lake with a couple of rods and reels while Kirby and I set out looking for my lost camera gear. We planned to backtrack all of the way to Lower Pauness, if needed, since that is the last place I remembered taking pictures. We kept our eyes peeled the whole way and while I was able to spot a Flying Moose sticker on a canoe (was pleased to meet "Brux") and saw many groups coming in, neither we nor they saw anything of my camera gear. We did go all of the way back to Lower Pauness--including a waist-deep wade through the Shell-Pauness portage beaver pond--but still nothing. It was time to head back to our campsite for lunch before joining Brian and Aidan in the fishing efforts.

They had actually got a good start on supper before I took my position on shore. But again, my casts were quickly productive and a walleye or two was added to the stringer (largest about 21") along with some decent-sized bass. One strike was from the biggest bass I think I have ever hooked and it gave quite the fight. Finally it tired enough that I was able to nose it to shore. As this fish sat in the water I noted that it was at least as long as our 21' walleye sitting right there on the stringer. Never did get an actual measurement of the bass, though. As we were trying to get it into a landing net, it gave one more flip and snapped the line. Gone! Oh, well...it was really too big to eat, we already had plenty of fish, and I was not going to get a picture of it anyway!

Weather wise, the day turned out sunny and warm but storms threatened on the horizon most of the afternoon with distant flashes and rumbles clearly announcing the cloud's intentions. Fortunately, the nasty weather kept sliding past us to the north and south and on only one occasion did we get clipped by the very edge of a storm, receiving some strong wind and rain for about 10 minutes.

Brian did a great job of cleaning our day's catch and for supper it was about all the fish the four of us could eat. Delish!!

Again our day concluded as we enjoyed a nice fire--and those dastardly mosquitoes sure enjoyed us!--before sleeping a final night on Lynx Lake.