Boundary Waters, Trip Reports, BWCA, Stories

Slim Lake
by Bearpath9

Trip Type: Paddling Canoe
Entry Date: 08/21/2023
Entry & Exit Point: Slim Lake (EP 6)
Number of Days: 6
Group Size: 1
Day 2 of 6
Tuesday, August 22, 2023

Got up around 6, and didn't hear any rain, and a quick peak out confirmed this. Put on my sandals and moseyed out to the kitchen to heat some water. I went back and retrieved a pouch o' breakfast, returned, and made it, along with a cup of tea. After I ate, I went looking for my meds and guess what ? They were back in my truck. I should explain that I can't take this one until 2 hours after I eat, so I would take this one at about 9, which is when I would be on my way. So I grab my rain jacket since it looked like rain, and headed back to the EP. Mission accomplished, I start back to my site. The wind had picked up a bit, and about halfway there the rain returned. Saying a few choice words, I landed and headed to the kitchen area. Nope, with the wind the rain was blowing in, so no dry spot. I headed for the tent, since I left it up, and read one of my books while waiting for at least the rain to stop, which it did after about an hour. It was still windy and overcast, but I spotted a canoe coming from the EP. It was a family of four, two little kids about ? and their parents. They came between the the island and my site, and we chatted for a bit. I told them that I didn't know if the site further up was occupied (it wasn't) and I hadn't seen anyone up there. They thanked me, and went on their way. So, it was getting on towards mid-day, weather was not promising, I decided that I wasn't going anywhere and the best thing to do was to fish. In between wind gusts, I managed to cast out from shore (I almost hit the island on one) . I had seen baitfish hitting the surface the day before, so I thought my luck would be pretty good. After about an hour, with one little pike caught, I gave it up. I pretty much spent the rest of the afternoon getting ready for an early departure in the morning, repacking the pack and just generally tidying up. By evening the wind had died, and despite little ten minute sprinkles, so had the rain. Ate a little dinner, listened to the radio a bit, no stars to look at, so I had my nightcap and called it a day.