A wilder trip
by L.T.sully

Trip Type: Paddling Canoe
Entry Date: 06/17/2007
Entry & Exit Point: Lake One (EP 30)
Number of Days: 6
Group Size: 2
Day 2 of 6
Monday, June 18, 2007 We wake up to yet another overcast day. While sleeping in felt good it was all negated by the dark skys. That morning the other group on the lake leaves, it is now all ours. We get a fire started quickly. It clears up a bit to raise our spirits. We always have bad luck with our stoves, and this trip was no exception. The stove was only lite once, at home. That morning I do more cleaning up around camp while phil cooks the bacon. We eat all of our food quickly. The wind begins to shift, as soon as we are done washing the dishes. Quickly we pack up, and pull the tarp over our packs. The rain begins to come down, right as we enter the tent. The tent is much more comfortable today than yesterday. I now have my air mattress, sleeping bag, and book to keep my mind off of being rain and wind bound. The rain again takes a few hours to clear up. We enterd the tent around 11, we exited at 2. We spend most of the time gathering firewood, since he stove is now useless, for anything but feeling like lead. I do some exploring of the site. The site has a nice cliff similar to many of the others on North Wilder. The site is also littered with blueberry plants. If we were at this site a month later we wouldn't have needed to bring food, with all the blueberrys. The wind even begins to die down around the time we start the fire for dinner. Tonight we eat mountain house chili mac and beef, and corn. We learn that the chili mac and beef works better with some extra water. After dinner I take the canoe out solo. I only spend a few minutes since the water in nice and calm, and the sun is out, but I know the weather can change fast. I bring the canoe back in. 5 minuets later I decide to go out, this time to take some pictures. With the iffy side loading to the campsite, I have a rough shove off. about 5 feet from shore a gust of wind causes me to capsize. The camera is ruined. Not only that but I get soaked. It is hard to swim with all of the clothes I have on. Not only that but with the quick drop off I would never had made it onshore by myself. Fortunatly my trip partner was nearby watching me, so he comes running. Onshore I quickly undress, and get into dry cloths. We do the dishes, and I go to bed. We plan on getting up to fish in the morning.