Chat Rooms (0 Chatting)  |  Search  |   Login/Join
* For the benefit of the community, commercial posting is not allowed.
Boundary Waters Quetico Forum
   Listening Point - General Discussion
      Hope everyone is well     
 Forum Sponsor

Author

Text

blutofish1
distinguished member(1861)distinguished memberdistinguished memberdistinguished memberdistinguished member
 
07/26/2020 01:38PM  
I was thinking about all my BW friends and hope you all are doing well. I'm doing good except my blood pressure has seemed to have
gone up for no reason. Never had a problem until 2 weeks ago. Doc is working on it.
 
      Print Top Bottom Previous Next
07/26/2020 02:31PM  
Stay away from politics and salt :) Be well.
 
KarlBAndersen1
distinguished member(1292)distinguished memberdistinguished memberdistinguished memberdistinguished member
 
07/26/2020 02:47PM  
I mentioned my BP being high to my chiropractor once and he asked me how much water I was drinking.
Well.........I wasn't drinking nearly enough. I had got in the habit of subconsciously satisfying my body's H2O demands by drinking coffee - and that just doesn't cut it.
So I applied the basic formula of 1/2 your body weight in ounces of water daily.
I weigh 180 so that's 90 ounces of water.
Really??!!! 90 ounces?
Wait - you really only need 60% of that in liquid water. The remaining 40% can be made up of other liquids you drink and the water contained in food.
So, sorry - the point is that as I started drinking four 16 ounce bottles of water a day - after two days - my BP started dropping.
In one week it went from catastrophically high to 117/70.
Just water.
Of course, I do not know how much water you drink - but it can never hurt to drink more.
 
andym
distinguished member(4987)distinguished memberdistinguished memberdistinguished memberdistinguished memberpower member
 
07/26/2020 03:17PM  
Good luck with the blood pressure. I definitely agree that hydration and diet can help but I’m also on a low dose of losartan.

Karl’s guidelines are about what my doctors have told me: 2 to 3 liters of fluids a day and about half of that water and, of course, more fluids coming in from food.

However, just as a minor caveat, you can hurt yourself with too much water. But this usually only happens during endurance sports. One of my friends was doing an AIDS fundraising bike ride from San Francisco to Los Angeles during a really hot June. One day a few people needed medical attention due to dehydration and so the group got a lecture about staying hydrated at dinner that night. The next day one rider overdid it and wound up needing medical attention for over hydration. In extreme cases, it can be fatal because of diluting electrolytes too much. There was a case out here with a radio station running a contest to see who could drink the most water to win a video game system. They ignored calls from medical professionals begging them to stop and a woman died.

But most people have the opposite problem.
 
07/26/2020 06:39PM  
Interesting. Since my open heart surgery my surgeon says to limit fluid intake to 64 ounces a day. All fluids.

It is hard to do. I have always been a person with a mug of decaf in hand, and I also drink water and sparkling water. It quickly adds up to 64 ounces.

I will celebrate 6 months post-surgery on the 29th and I am stronger than I have been in years. That's the good part. :-)

 
yellowcanoe
distinguished member(4840)distinguished memberdistinguished memberdistinguished memberdistinguished memberpower member
 
07/26/2020 06:50PM  
Everyone has different things that don't work well in old age so what is good for one is anathema for another.

The important thing is to have a good relationship with your personal body mechanic ( aka Dr) and try to keep active and keep engaged. And that is not easy in these days. I am watching my neighbors wither away as they are afraid of doing anything outside their house because they are afraid of catching the virus. They have not been out since March.
That our area has had no CV cases matters not.
 
      Print Top Bottom Previous Next
Listening Point - General Discussion Sponsor:
Tuscarora Lodge & Canoe Outfitters