BWCA Entry Point, Route, and Trip Report Blog

August 18 2017

Entry Point 25 - Moose Lake

Moose Lake entry point allows overnight paddle or motor (25 HP max). This entry point is supported by Kawishiwi Ranger Station near the city of Ely, MN. The distance from ranger station to entry point is 21 miles. Access is an boat landing or canoe launch at Moose Lake. Many trip options for paddlers with additional portages. This area was affected by blowdown in 1999.

Number of Permits per Day: 27
Elevation: 1356 feet
Latitude: 47.9877
Longitude: -91.4997
Moose Lake - 25

Tow to Splash Basecamp-Ensign

by fcrugbyhooker
Trip Report

Entry Date: July 14, 2010
Entry Point: Moose Lake
Number of Days: 4
Group Size: 2

Trip Introduction:
1st trip w/6 year old son

Day 1 of 4

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

This was a last second trip due to mom and daughter traveling to Colorado for nephew's birth. Did not want to go to Ensign initially, as I've been there and wanted to see something new, but no permits were available in other easy areas suggested by members. Arrived at CBO Tuesday evening(12:00 am)and slept in jeep till morning. Ate a quick breakfast and jumped in tow boat as nasty storms were coming. Passed a couple of possible sites on way in and settled on one up high w/ no trees and protection from lightning. After setting up tent quickly, storm hit. We watched for a bit and then fell asleep and took a nap. After storm passed we cooked up some lunch and went fishing.(Always main purpose as we're fisherman) Found some fallen trees and lodged in them and started jigging. Fishing was awesome. In 2 hours I caught a large mouth, 4 walleyes, and 3 big smallies.(1-18, 1-17, and 1 20 and a half inches) Son was having fun watching but not catching any so I handed him my pole in hot spot and he had on two huge ones. One was in the 20 inch range and jumped out of the water on him, and the next one just ran on him and snapped him off. He threw me my pole after that one and said, "Dad, I don't want to catch any big fish" Watching him fight those two and 1 the next day was highlight of my trip. Went back to camp for pictures and then cleaned the walleyes for supper. Slept awesome and had a great first day. For the first time in the bw, I was pumped we decided to take the trip.(Had some doubts after bear reports and storm news)  


Day 2 of 4

Thursday, July 15, 2010

First of two high wind days. We woke up and cooked breakfast. We then paddled over to a more open site and checked it out. It was huge and awesome with lots of stuff to do. Packed up and switched camps. With high winds we started fishing from rocky shore and right away I caught a 15 incher.(smallie) My son saw, and wanted to fish. Within minutes he had on another big one. He fought it for a bit and it took a jump, that was awesome. Unfortunately he lost it and I tried to explain to him with big ones you have to let them have a little at times. Can't just put head down and reel. He kept fishing and caught 2 other smaller ones. We then ate lunch and started exploring site. Found another spot to fish and caught a few more small ones. Son also caught first crayfish which kept him busy the rest of trip. All of the sudden it was night and enjoyed a beautiful sunset with awesome stars. Winded all day but a great time none the less in the sunny weather.    


Day 3 of 4

Friday, July 16, 2010

Another windy day so more of the same as yesterday. Exloring, catching and cooking crayfish, planning exit route for tomorrow if strong winds continued, watching beautiful sunset and stars, etc. Winds did calm down in evening and we went back to our first day fishing spots but to no avail. We did end up catching on smallie and cooked it up along with 6 crayfish. The boy was tickled pink eating those.....


Day 4 of 4

Saturday, July 17, 2010

Last day, tow at 2:30. We woke around 8 to calm seas. I quickly packed and cleaned up and head to Splash portage. I knew we would have to kill time somewhere but also was happy to take advantage of easy paddling after 2 days of wind. Checked out a couple of vacant campsites on way out and went into Splash around 10:30. Kept fishing gear out and trolled but had no luck. We went into Splash and paddled over to lone campsite. Noone was there so we dropped some gear and fished Splash. Looked like some great structure but didn't get a nibble. We went back to campsite for snack and decided to throw out a worm and a bobber. I caught a smallie right away and the son decided to take over the pole. He went on to catch 8 more the biggest being 18. Unfortunately I was out of pictures on the one disposable camera I brought in but nothing would top the picture of him holding my biggest smallie anyway. It was a great trip and I was so glad we did it. The pictures I have with his smiles explain it all. He is already talking about next year, so we'll have to see. I am taking my daughter into the Sylvania in August and mom has gone twice before too. Maybe a family trip next year?


Trip Reports
Trip Reports
Trip Reports
Trip Reports
Trip Reports
Trip Reports
Trip Reports