Boundary Waters Trip Reports, Blog, BWCA, BWCAW, Quetico Park

BWCA Entry Point, Route, and Trip Report Blog

April 19 2024

Entry Point 41 - Brule Lake

Brule Lake entry point allows overnight paddle only. This entry point is supported by Tofte Ranger Station near the city of Tofte, MN. The distance from ranger station to entry point is 35 miles. Access is a boat landing at Brule Lake. Large lake with several campsites. This area was affected by blowdown in 1999.

Number of Permits per Day: 7
Elevation: 1847 feet
Latitude: 47.9261
Longitude: -90.6448
Brule Lake - 41


by bumabu
Trip Report

Entry Date: October 05, 2022
Entry Point: Brule Lake
Number of Days: 6
Group Size: 3

Trip Introduction:
My middle son turned 13 this year and I really wanted to take him by himself out into the BW to connect with him and have him unplug from the hustle and bustle of usual teenager life. I invited my brother to come along, and he flew in from California about a week before the trip started. It turned out to be quite the adventure and it was a very memorable and special trip for all of us.

Day 1 of 6

Wednesday, October 05, 2022 We awoke at 3 AM to make sure we were on the road by 4 AM. It was tough, but we actually got out of the driveway on time with everything packed. We seemingly flew north and were on the water by 3:45 PM after stopping at Subway back the road a bit to pick up sandwiches for a quick dinner later. . Because we brought my big canvas tent and wood stove we needed to make two trips with the three man canoe. I decided to take the first load of gear with my son, while my brother would stay behind with the chainsaw and cut firewood for the next couple of days outside of the BW. The first site we wanted was taken so we changed course towards the East and found a great island site that accommodated my 16" diameter circus tent. I realized I had the car keys in my pocket, so we dropped our first load of gear and raced back to the entry point. My brother, Fred, was nowhere to be found. We hopped in the car and headed down the road, picking up small piles of firewood neatly stacked by the side of the road. about 1.5 miles down the road we caught up with him and he was very glad to see us. After returning with a car full of wood we packed the rest of the gear and a lot of the wood in the car and headed to the campsite, arriving at about 6:30. We had some set up to do in the dark, but at least we were warm inside the tent with the stove glowing. this night there would be a massive cold front blowing in and it did not disappoint the forecasters. It blew all night as we got the inside of the tent set up and ate our delicious Subway sandwiches for dinner.


Day 2 of 6

Thursday, October 06, 2022 Today we woke up to strong winds, although we were very well protected up in the campsite on all four sides. We had plenty of wood laid in from yesterday so I got up and lit the fire and then crawled back into bed while the tent heated up. I later made pancakes for breakfast, chicken quesadillas for lunch, and some thick steaks for dinner. We mostly hung out in the tent all day and rested, enjoying our cozy little cave, but did venture out a bit and explore the island in between rain showers. Eventually I got cabin fever and rallied the troops to lay in some more firewood as long as we were wind-bound and needing something to do anyway. we really got a good stockpile and retreated back into the warm tent. When not exploring or laying in wood we were playing Uno or chess, and just having a good time spending some quality family time together. We were able to shore fish a bit, and managed to bring in one small pike.


Day 3 of 6

Friday, October 07, 2022 Today we woke up late with the wind still howling and to the lowest temps of the trip. We lounged in the tent while I make bacon and egg sandwiches for a late breakfast. The wind seemed to have died down enough to get out and do some fishing so we ventured out and started trolling deep diving baits on the steep side south of the island. Zarek got a really nice Walleye that we kept for dinner that night, and then we trolled all the way back into Brule bay and stopped for lunch on the last campsite back in Brule bay and made some hot beverages over a fire to warm up and then headed back towards camp. When we got back to camp we warmed up before dinner and then Uncle Fred taught Zarek how to filet his walleye with a really picturesque moonrise in the background. We cooked it and some potatoes for dinner, and boy Zarek was proud to have put our food on the table this night.


Day 4 of 6

Saturday, October 08, 2022 We woke up to our alarm at 6 AM with hopes of going fishing, but the wind was blowing hard this morning, It took me about 10 seconds to go back to sleep. I finally got up around 8:30 to light the stove and make breakfast for everyone. Other than the wind, this was a beautiful day. we shore fished a lot, took baths on the freezing cold water, and played a lot of UNO. We were also able to clear out another nice shore fishing spot on the island which gives good access to deep water and structure so future wind-bound parties can do some more shore fishing as well.


Day 5 of 6

Sunday, October 09, 2022 This would be the day we would hopefully be able to get out on the water and fish hard for the whole day. We had been waiting the whole trip for a nice day to fish, and when the alarm went off at 5:30 it was dead still outside. We got up and prepared for battle, hoping to hit the water not long after daybreak. We paddled away from camp at about 7:30 trolling through the mist. we stopped at our first spot and caught nothing. We then moved up to our next spot and only pulled one really small bass off of it before moving west to find a campsite for a breakfast warm-up. We stopped at a nice point site just south of Lily lake and made a small fire to heat water. I had forgotten to pack our freeze dried biscuits and gravy but I had plenty of other snacks to munch on. Uncle Fred hooked into a very nice smallmouth casting a jig and plastic minnow into the channel from shore. After the fish fred got a jerk bait stuck off shore and I offered to paddle out and retrieve it. While working my way down to the canoe I slipped and fell face first down on some rocks by the shore. How I didn't get soaked or seriously injured is a mystery. But I was OK and got his bait back. I floated around solo and made some casts but couldn't turn anything else up, so we decided to move on and work the large bay to the east of us. After an hour or so of not producing any more fish from that bay we decided to head to our next spot. Zarek caught a nice little smallmouth while enroute to the next spot and he was pretty excited about it. About 15 minutes later we were at our spot, and it immediately produced a really healthy 5-lb smallmouth bass. We stayed on the spot and kept working it and shortly after that had two 5 pounders on at the same time. We worked it a bit more and coaxed another into the boat before heading off for another peninsula site to stretch, have lunch, warm up by the fire, and take a cap nap in the sun. After a couple of hours we headed back to our honey hole and pulled up two more hogs before eventually moving towards camp. We stopped at another spot and pulled up a small walleye and then headed home to clean fish and get warmed up. What a day of fishing it was. We were beat, sun burned, wind chapped, and tired. We made smallmouth for dinner and everyone at their fill before putting the rest of the filets on ice to take home to momma. My brother is a fishing guide and even he was impressed with the amount of quality smallmouth we locked onto today. The one picture is reminiscent of the old fish camp photos from the early 1900's and was a pretty cool one to have in the family memoirs.


Day 6 of 6

Monday, October 10, 2022 Up at 5 AM getting packed up and preparing to make two trips to the car in the fog. the paddle out was really cool and we got some great video of two young loons in the fog talk to each other and interacting with each other very affectionately. I am assuming they were siblings based on how close they were interacting. We got the final load in the car and were on our way by 11 AM. It was a really special trip that none of us will ever forget.


Trip Reports