Boundary Waters Trip Reports, Blog, BWCA, BWCAW, Quetico Park

BWCA Entry Point, Route, and Trip Report Blog

June 17 2024

Entry Point 29 - North Kawishiwi River

North Kawishiwi River entry point allows overnight paddle only. This entry point is supported by Kawishiwi Ranger Station near the city of Ely, MN. The distance from ranger station to entry point is 15 miles. Access the North Kawishiwi River through Ojibway Lake and Triangle Lake using two portages.

Number of Permits per Day: 1
Elevation: 1249 feet
Latitude: 47.9543
Longitude: -91.5641
North Kawishiwi River - 29

1st solo

by Bearpath9
Trip Report

Entry Date: August 15, 2021
Entry Point: Lake One
Number of Days: 5
Group Size: 1

Trip Introduction:
This was not supposed to be a solo. My usual trip partner cancelled due to turning 16, getting his drivers license, possible girlfriend, and his business responsibilities. Yes, he has his own business. Anyway, I decided that I would go by myself.

Day 1 of 5

Sunday, August 15, 2021 Pulled into Ely around 5 P.M.. Checked into Cliff Wolds and got my key to the bunkhouse. Ate some dinner,did a little shopping and drove around for a little bit, then called it a night.


Day 2 of 5

Monday, August 16, 2021 Went into town, looked for bait and was surprised that leeches were scarce. Finally found some at 5 bucks for a dozen. I guess beggars can't be choosers, so I bought 3 dozen, then went across the street to Cliff Wolds, got the canoe and headed for the entry point.

My plan was to launch and head northeast by the lodge and turn southwest into Lake One. That part worked until I ran into a blocked channel. Not being familiar with the area, other than maps, I wasted some time trying to find the way through. I eventually gave up after a couple of hours and headed for the portages.

The portages were fairly crowded, but not real bad. As to the portages themselves, I found all three to be rocky, rooty and thankfully short. Still a bit of a workout for an old man who thought he was in shape. I would guess I got onto Lake One at about 12 or 12:30.

I started looking for a site and headed west from the last portage. All those sites seemed to be taken, so I reversed course and went to the eastern side. No luck there, but I went down to the portage into Lake Two just in case. It is now around 2 or 2:30, hot and the wind is picking up. I was going to go up the eastern shore and into the bay northeast where there were two sites. By this time I was hot and getting tired, drinking as much water as I could filter from the lake while paddling. I noticed that I wasn't sweating, I was getting nowhere against the wind, and had a couple of short dizzy or woozy spells. I knew what that meant, so I pulled up at the first good looking spot and stopped.

Yeah, I know it was against everything, but I bushwhacked for the night and replenished myself with a lot of water,and some food. About the only sign I was there are the footprints I left on the shore and the tent peg holes. I did find some broken glass, which I packed out.


Day 3 of 5

Tuesday, August 17, 2021

Got up before the sun, ate a quick breakfast, and made sure I had plenty of water. I changed my plan, and headed across to the west side and went up around Pagami Creek, figuring I would take a look at the fire scar. Reminded me of Custer State Park in the early 90's after the fire out there.

I continued along the western shore, and went around the point to where I could see campsite 1147. Eureka, it was open. I paddled my old arse as fast as I could got there about 8:30 or so. Nice sandy landing, but a little exposed, as was the kitchen area. By exposed, I mean NO shade anywhere. Down from the kitchen area was another area where you could probably fit 2 tents into. This was enclosed on all sides by brush, and had some shade, but got stuffy as the day (and the heat) wore on.

I decided to set up on the landing since there was a spot for a tent there. After setting up, eating a few big handfuls of homemade trail mix, and filling my gallon sized water bladder, I decided to get a line wet. Put a daredevle on and started casting out from shore. Lo and behold, I got a strike after about 15 minutes, even though it was hot and the middle of the day. Just a little pike, probably not even a pound, and after that nothing.

Ate some dinner and did some reading. One thing I should mention is that on all 3 nights, at around 5 or 6 in the evening, the smoke would roll in. Not heavy, but you could tell. It reminded me of early mornings when fog comes up from the lake.


Day 4 of 5

Wednesday, August 18, 2021

Up early, as usual. Gorgeous sunrise, as were all of them for the time I was there. It is kind of ironic, since the only reason that they were so striking is because of all the wildfires. Had my required 2 cups of tea, and got the fishing pole in my hand. Did a little better than on Tuesday, using the daredevle again, caught 2 more pike, one around a pound, maybe a little more, and one nice one, maybe 3-4 pounds. Put the canoe in, and went around the point to the marshy area NE of my camp. Put on a bare hook with a medium sized spinner attached and a leech. Went through about 8 or 9 leeches, but did catch a couple of smallies, 2 to 3 pounds I guess. But by 10 o'clock, they just shut down. All fish were released.

Spent the rest of the day getting the camp organized and exploring the site. And swimming, which I did 2 or 3 times, as it was about the only way to keep cool. The wind was not blowing enough to keep the heat down. Fortunately, the sand on the landing extends out so I had an actual beach.

Now, I am not a digital type person. I have a PC, which I am not very adept at, and have never owned a cell phone. However, my wife insisted that I get one since I was alone, and would need it in case of emergencies. I hate it when she is right. So, kicking and screaming, I purchased a flip phone and brought it along. I couldn't get through in the camp, or even up on the kitchen area, both of which are clear of trees or any other possible interference. I then went out in the lake up to my knees and bingo! I was able to get through. Talked for a bit, and then I called it a night.


Day 5 of 5

Thursday, August 19, 2021

Up early, and after my tea and breakfast, I started tearing down. I wanted to get an early start to avoid any congestion on the portages. Got on the water about 6:30 or so, and headed to the first portage out.

I don't know why, but I had a hard time locating the portages. Map, compass and faulty memory just weren't working for me, and I would like to thank everyone I asked my stupid question of "Do you know where the portage is"? for being so polite. I would have found them eventually, I suppose, but it sure saved time.

Coming off the last portage, I ran into a couple of guys going in. We chit-chatted, I mentioned the fishing and how I had to bushwhack on Monday night. Turned out they were rangers ! So I showed the required papers, and went into a little more detail about the circumstances of my illegal camping. They were pretty nice about it, and basically said you did what you had to do. I didn't get their names, but I do want to thank them for being understanding.

I got to the EP at about 10, pulled ashore and unloaded. I got the cell phone out and was going to call Ryan at Cliff Wolds that I was off the lake and they could come and get the canoe. Well, evidently you have to turn the dang thing off. I thought, for whatever reason, that when you closed it, it would turn itself off. No, you have to press a button. Here I was, checking the time on it by flipping it open, then flipping closed. So off to Ely I went, sans canoe. I need to buy a rack for my pick-up.

Got to town and Ryan told me about the present fire, asked if I was going down Highway 1, which I wasn't, and told me it was closed. I was a little shocked about this news, since my brother-in-law lives in Ely, and I was kind of concerned about him and his wife. So far (as of yesterday) they were fine, but keeping a close eye on developments. Gassed up, and headed for home.

So ends my 1st solo. What did I learn ? Well, I learned that I enjoyed being by myself, and having to rely on myself to get out of any jams I may get myself into. The solitude of being able to sit on a rock, and look over the water and just soak it in, was priceless. I enjoy being with others, but by nature I am quite happy being alone with my my thoughts. I learned that my directional skills need to be worked on, and my planning could be better. I also learned that red squirrels can swim, and that there is a species of bee that is like a bumblebee, but instead of a gold band on its body, it has a cinnamon or rust colored band. And I enjoyed the company of two very unafraid chipmunks at site 1147, who shamelessly took advantage of my distraction to chew a hole in my trail mix bag and eat some. I also learned that solo is a lot of work, maybe because of my age(62), or maybe because it was my first one. All in all though, I won't hesitate to do it again if I have to, and to thoroughly enjoy it, as I did enjoy this.


Trip Reports